Adventures of the Pedo-grill Friday, June 13, 2008

A few weeks ago our sketchy next door neighbors moved out in a big hurry. Two days later the sheriff's department came by in the morning and asked if we knew the whereabouts of the sketchy husband. Turns out he was wanted in the state of Oregon for his penchant for 12-14 year old girls. Gross. We'd all been friendly with them. The husband fixed Rob's speakers, and we gave him and his wife a table we didn't want. We always said hi when we ran into them. Now it turns out they're seriously sketchy.

In their haste to move out, they left a small shelf beside their door that they'd kept an ashtray on. On one of the lower shelves was a small (maybe 1.5' by 1.5') cheap propane grill. I decided that because of the emotional distress they'd placed on us, I was going to take the grill for myself. Whatever, they were long gone to Colorado by that point.

The grill was nasty. Like, used once a week for a couple years and never cleaned nasty. Used to cook lots of fatty meat nasty. I stuck it on our back porch and promised I'd clean it soon, and once I did we'd have grilled asparagus. But then it sat back there for a couple weeks. Last Sunday I decided it was finally time to clean it. It took me over 2 hours, 2 Scotchbrite pads, and about 8-10 paper towels. I had the sick feeling while I was cleaning it that maybe after all this disgusting travail, it wasn't even going to work.

We'd been planning on having salad and spaghetti for dinner, but after all that we were going to use the goddamn grill. After a quick trip to Freddie's for hot dogs, buns and propane, we were ready.

And oh happy day, the grill worked!

The fruits of my labor:




This weekend it's off to Seattle to play in Dev's ballpit and hang out with UUs... hooray! <3

1 comments:

Sara said...

Also, the best way to clean it really really clean is just to turn the fire up really high and burn off what ever is still on the grill. Then just scrape off the carbon!