Hungry Girl Friday, January 25, 2008

My eyes could quite possibly have been bigger than my stomach -- looking at my plate right now, I'm not sure my stomach, or in this case my time, could ever hold that much.
Let's take a little look, shall we?

  • Planning this damn con (at least it's going smoothly, now that two people causing drama on my planning committee have stepped down/been asked to step down)
  • Leading the UU group on campus. I can't let that slide just because I'm focusing so must UU energy into planning the con.
  • Section Line Drive. I've missed them so much, and I can't wait to sing with them again... but it's another 3 hours or so a week.
  • Working 10 hours a week at IT and another 4 or so grading Yung Pin's stat's class.
  • 4 classes, which are all going to require quite a bit of homework, thought and effort. Liz's complex class is going to make me believe in math again, Jeff Ely's CS 1 is going to be hilarious, Roger's voting theory class is by far the most theoretical math class I have ever taken... and German Lit in Translation is going to be far harder than I was expecting... but the focus is VIKINGS. So it's ok.
Sigh. So maybe I've bitten off a little more than I can chew. We'll have to see. For now I'm handling it all quite well. I was in the math department until 4:45 this afternoon finishing my complex homework... but my to-do list is only about 2 entries long. So I'm feeling good.

Saturday night Me, Rob, Devon and Lizzy are going to Sushi Takahashi, and Sunday Me, Rob and Rachelle are driving up to Olympia to check out the location of con. Dev made us a website and it's BEAUTIFUL. I am enamored with it. We made a facebook event, too. 200 people have been invited so far and there are already over 20 "officially attending" RSVPs. This is really happening! It's exciting!

And just to see how funny fate is, I saw a familiar last name among those invited by others, and recognized it from a friend of mine whose family used to attend the UUFC and then moved away when I was in middle or high school. I messaged the person of the familiar last name and asked if she was my friends younger sister... and she was! And she remembered me and my dad! It turns out she's a Mountain Goats fan and is under 21, so me and Rob are going to give her a ride down to the all ages show in Eugene in late February... exciting!

I'm actually going to try to see the Mountain Goats twice while they're in this neck of the woods, because they're so amazing live. I saw them at the Doug Fir on March 3rd last year and this year I'm going to see them in Eug February 27th, like I mentioned, but I'm also going to try to go to one of the shows at the Doug Fir either the 25th or the 26th. I'm going to rationalize this by saying that I don't really go to concerts these days unless they're cheap or free (who am I kidding, I haven't been to a concert in a really, really long time), mostly because the bands I like either aren't touring any more (Elliott Smith, Sublime), I don't like the music they're making now (Fountains of Wayne, Weezer), or I don't want to deal with their typical fans (Bright Eyes, for the love of god, Bright Eyes). Also I've never bought a single Mountain Goats CD, so I've got to support them how I can. The only problem (?) is that Steve gave me a ton of Mountain Goats during break, and I've barely touched it. I NEED TO TOUCH IT BEFORE I SEE THEM.

Speaking of shows, Rob got tickets today for Margaret Cho's new show, Beautiful, which is playing at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall April 17th. It's my early/late anniversary present (our anniversary is March 30/31). Sweet!

I am now going to go watch an episode of Six Feet Under, then go to schleeeep. I'll post pictures soon, promise.

0 comments: