Old songs from nowhere Thursday, April 2, 2009


This picture makes me absolutely, stupidly happy. (JD+JV=<3)
John Darnielle and John Vanderslice are on tour together right now (not coming anywhere close to Oregon, grumble grumble) and I just heard news today that they're putting out an album together, under the name of the Comedians. The album is called Moon Colony Bloodbath and I'm going to pee myself if I don't get a copy.

And JV has a new album, Romanian Names, coming out in May, around the time he's coming to Portland.


In other music news, I'm really enjoying these two albums:
How It Ends - DeVotchKa
We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. - Jason Mraz
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
the Funeral - Arcade Fire

(the last two are more rediscovery than anything else)



Other life news:
  • I'm taking a class at PCC! It's in printmaking! It's about a printmaking medium I've never done before! Copper plate printing. The tools I had to buy for the class could do some serious damage in the wrong hands. The class meets twice a week for 3 hours, and the instructor seems pretty swell.
  • I'm helping a guy in Sellwood start a permaculture urban farm on his property and it's really quite exciting! We've met once, and there's another work party tomorrow at 9am.
  • I put up ads on CL advertising tutoring and garden help, only got one response to the tutoring ad, and no responses to the offer of garden help.
  • Con is drawing near and I'm starting to panic just a little bit. I need to get my butt in gear as far as con clothing goes. We're just offering bandanas this time, but Elo and I want to make them by hand. Con is April 24th-26th. WHOA!
  • I'm crocheting a sweet hat, using lace crochet. It's gonna be bitchin.
  • Rob and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary on March 31st! We went to Montage, got delicious foods and a bottle of wine, and shared the gooey butter cake for dessert (I tried to describe it to Rob before we ordered it - "It's like someone took cake batter and made it into a cake... but didn't bake it" - and we decided as we were eating it that that's pretty much a spot-on description). And then yesterday I made 2 year celebration pie: Peach/blackberry with a lattice crust. I've made better, but it's pretty delicious.
  • Our old roommate, Tess, has moved out, and our lovely friend LeAnn has moved in with us! The four of us have all been friends for a long time, so I think it will work out really well. She has a cat, Mango, who has been getting along ok with Cubby so far.
Ok, time to get ready for class.

0 comments: