I wish we could open our eyes to see in all directions at the same time Monday, April 21, 2008

It's been a little epic the last couple of days...

Thursday night Lizzy, Rob, Me, Rachelle, Chelsea and Ben all went to see Margaret Cho at the Schnitz. Wonderful. Hilarious. Oddly affirming. Her opener, Ian Harvie, was also absolutely incredible.

Margaret Cho. Making one of her amazing faces.

Friday afternoon while I struggled to finish my Complex homework I got a call from Rob to tell me that the Death Cab for Cutie show in Eugene Saturday night that had previously been sold out... had released more tickets!

On Friday night I noodled around in the evening, cleaning my room, until around 9:30 when I picked up and went to Powell's. Rob, Rachelle, Ben and Elona were at the Crystal Ballroom seeing Ani DiFranco, and I knew if I timed it right, I could drive them from the Crystal back to Elona's, and then continue up to Vancouver. And I did it perfectly! I bought a coffee mug and some stickers at Powell's (Wait, it's a bookstore? Are you sure?) and just as I was being kicked out for closing, Rob called. I picked them up at the Crystal, we went over to Elona's for a bit, and then Rob, Ben and I braved the treachery of I-5 to get back to Rob's (actually it was pretty deserted).

Steve and Zoe met us up in Vancouver so Rob, Ben, Rachelle, Steve, Zoe and I could have a sleepover. We watched the intros to old TV shows from our childhood on YouTube (Captain Planet! Eureeka's Castle! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Inspector Gadget!) and went to bed late.

We woke up first around 9 as Ben was leaving town, and then around 11:40 when Ben called asking for Corvallis directions. Going out into the living room we found Steve and Zoe already up, watching Secondhand Lions and craving donuts and eggs. The four of us got in Rob's car and to Krispy Kreme we went! Still in our pajamas! We came back an hour later with two dozen donuts and a dozen eggs, scrambled the eggs, and had a donut tasting party on the floor of the living room.

Steve and Zoe (check out Zoe's sweet hoodie!)

PJ and Rob.

Mmmm.

After a lovely living room picnic I drove back to LC to shower and get dressed, while Rob went to the train station to pick up some of his Port Townsend friends who were on their way to the Death Cab show when their train broke down in Portland. They met up with me at LC, and the 5 of us drove down to Eugene to meet up with another one of Rob's PT friends and go to the show.

Death Cab. Was. Epic. They are rock stars. I saw them 4 years ago when they were touring with Ben Kweller, when they had just released their album Transatlanticism and were still known as being pretty damn emo. And I didn't really like their music back then, so we'd left about halfway through. Whoops. When I was in Budapest I discovered the album they put out in 2005, Plans. Very different sound, much more my style. Sadly, that's when everyone else really discovered them, too, so the audience was a little lame. When I saw them before all the kids were wearing hoodies and had shaggy black hair and thick-rimmed glasses. This time it was all pretty, preppy, whatever. And they only got super energized as a whole when the band was playing something off Plans. Whatever. I only really know Plans, too, but I was hoping I'd be in a minority. It didn't matter, though. The band was amazing and energized the whole time, since it was only the second stop on their first tour in several years. They rocked. The poop. Out.

Rockstars.

After the concert we dropped the Port Townsend kids at the motel where they were staying, then drove over to Amber's where we proceeded to stay up until 3:30 talking because we hadn't seen eachother in almost a year.

Then this afternoon I got free Thai food at the Thai Peacock because of my gig with the MCMC, so that was pretty sweet, too. And then I got a season of Six Feet Under from the library, came back, watched some of that, took a nap, went to a cappella AND did a problem on my Complex take home that's due Wednesday.

I told you before... epic weekend-ish-thing.


Next epic tasks: find a job for this summer, send out grad announcements.


But before that? BED! NOW!

0 comments: